Balsorano, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Midway between Marsica and Valle Roveto, Balsorano lies just under the imposing Piccolomini castle, built in 1470 on the remains of a previous fortified structure and now surrounded by a wonderful green park. In the village there are medieval and XVII-XVIII century buildings.
- Altitude: 340 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 100 km
- Population: ca. 3700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67052
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
- How to reach it: A25 Roma-L'Aquila, exit Avezzano; bus and trains, from Avezzano.
Follow us on Facebook
Guarding for centuries the southern entrance to Valle Roveto, Balsorano takes its name from Vallis Sorana; during the XI and XII centuries it was ruled by Count Baldovino and Ruggero di Albe, then it came under Otto di Tocy until the XVI century, later on the Piccolominis, Testas and Lefebvres. After the destruction brought about by the 1915 earthquake, the village was rebuilt outside the ancient borough.
What to see
- The Piccolomini castle
- The churches of St. Nicola, St. Pietro e St. Donato
- St. Angelo Sanctuary and grotto with a fine XVI-century fresco, at a short distance from the village.
Events and Festivities
- 8 May: Pilgrimage to St. Michele hermitage
- 15 August: Assunta Feast
- 25-26 August: "Valle Roveto rock e ...non solo!.
Where to stay
- Hotel Castello.
Genealogy and Links
- Images of Balsorano
- Surnames presently recorded in Balsorano
- People researching in Balsorano
- Newspaper articles on Balsorano.