Aragno, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Only 12 km away from L'Aquila, Aragno lies amid a wonderfully green landscape. From the village there are some panoramic paths leading into the mountains. There are also six ancient fountains, widely used in the past for the village cattle.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 1070 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 12 km
- Population: ca. 700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0862
- How to reach it: from L'Aquila A24, exit L'Aquila Est; by bus, from l'Aquila.
Originally an independent commune, Aragno was then incorporated within the Commun of L'Aquila. In 1532 it was given to Captain Cesare Ercolani, and in the XVIII century was nearly destroyed by an ominous earthquake, after which only one of the churches, Santa Maria Maddalena, was rebuilt.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria Maddalena
- The church of Santa Barbara
- A little outside, the chapel of the "Madonnella", consecrated to the Virgin Mary, where traditional celebrations used to take place.
- Mount Aragno
- Mount San Giuliano
- Gran Sasso d'Italia.