Alfedena, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Hidden in a wonderfully green landscape, Alfedena still shows medieval elements, such as the fine chiesa di SS. Pietro e Paolo, as well as megalithic walls, a necropolis and an Italic temple.
- Altitude: 914 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 100 km
- Population: ca. 700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: road S.S. 83 ; bus and trains, from Avezzano.
Follow us on Facebook
In pre-Roman times Alfedena was an important Samnite centre, as shown by the presence of a remarkable temple. Then in the Middle Ages it belonged to the Sangro County, and was seriously damaged during the II World War.
What to see
- Megalithic walls.
- The Italic temple at Monte Curino.
- XIII-century Church of SS. Pietro e Paolo, rebuilt after World War Two.
- The Museo Civico Aufidenate "A De Nino".
- The National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise.
Events and Festivities
- 17 January: feast of Sant'Antonio, with the traditional bonfires
- Second Sunday in July: Feat of Saints Patrons Maria Salomè and Pietro the martyr.
Where to stay
- Camping La Luna - loc. Montagna Spaccata - 67030 Alfedena (AQ) - Tel: +39 0864 87329
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio V.Luigi De Amicis - 67030 Alfedena (AQ) - Tel: +39 0864 87114 - 87335
- The Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo - Filiale Alfedena - 1, V. De Amicis - 67030 Alfedena (AQ) - Tel: +39 0864 87898
- Surnames presently recorded in Alfedena
- Newspaper articles on Alfedena.