Acciano, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Situated on a high mountain crest along the Aterno valley, in the beautiful valle Subequana, the municipality includes also the "frazioni" Beffi, Succiano and Roccapreturo.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 600 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 39 km
- Population: ca. 600 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: state road from L'Aquila to Pescara, after 15 km about towards Fontecchio - Sulmona; bus and trains, from l'Aquila and Sulmona.
Of its Lombard origin Acciano still keeps the layout of a fortified borough with three doors. In the XIV century it was ruled by Matteo Gentile, then until the late XVIII century belonged to the Piccolominis. The name, it seems, may derive from a Roman landowner Accius, who established in the place that was after him called "Villa Acciani"
What to see
- SS Pietro e Lorenzo (1534)
- Congregazione del'Addolorata (1786)
- XV-century Fountain
- Roccapreturo, medieval fortified remains.
- Beffi, the sighting towers and the medieval village.
Events and Festivities
- (Pentecoste) Monday-Tuesday: festivity of the Madonna della Valle
- 30 - 31 May: Feast of St. Petronilla
- First Sunday in June: Feast of S. Erasmo, con processione sul Monte Offermo
- 29-30-31 July: Sagra of arrosticini, truffle and wine
- First Sunday in November: Fair at Beffi
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, v.Palazzo Municipale - 67020 ACCIANO (AQ) - tel. (+39) 0864 799144
- Parrocchia Acciano (AQ) - tel. (+39)
- Surnames presently recorded in Acciano
- People researching in Acciano.