Villamagna, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Situated in the valley of the river Foro, Villamagna derives its name from an ancient Roman settlement: in fact in Latin villa means "farm", while magna means "large".
Altitude: 255 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 15 km -- Population: ca. 2400 inhabitants in 2011 -- Zip code: 66010 -- Phone Area Code: 0871 -- Frazioni: Innesto, Pian di Mare, Serepenne -- How to reach it: motorway A25 exit Chieti
Remains of necropolis of the 7th century BC were found in the area, but the place was mentioned for the first time in 1059 as Villa Magna, when it became a possession of the bishopry of Chieti. It passed to the king in 1450, and was later a fief of Antonio di Sava, Agostino Scipioni and finally the de Palma de Artois family.
Points of Interest
- Parish Church of Santa Maria Maggiore of the 18th century, with rococo stuccos by Michele Clerici and Carlo Piazzoli and paintings of the Neapolitan Ludovico de Majo and Antonio Sarnelli
- The Bishop's Palace
Events & Festivities
- Late August: Representation of the miracle of St. Domenico Abate, during which the Saint saved a child from a wolf.
- August: Representation of the miracle of St. Margaret, who came in defense of the village against the Turks.