Vacri, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
The village is situated on a hill in a panoramic position between the valleys of the Dendalo and Foro rivers, in an area surrounded by vineyards and olive groves.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 310 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 21 km
- Population: ca. 1700 inhabitants in 2011
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Fontanelle, Maiure, Porcareccia, Sant'Agata, San Vincenzo, Selve
- How to reach it: motorway A25 exit Chieti - road SS 81 from Chieti.
The remains of an ancient Italic sanctuary were found in the nearby hamlet of Porcareccia, but the first record of the place was in the 12th century. From the 15th century it was a fief of the Furlani, then it passed to the city of Chieti, the Caracciolo, the Torricelli and finally to the Valignani family.
What to see
- The parish church of San Biagio of the 16th century, with a beautiful stone portal.
Events and Festivities
- Second Sunday of May: Pilgrimage to St. Maria delle Grazie in Francavilla
- End of August: Trade Fair of crafts and agriculture, with various music performances
- December: dialect poetry contest.