Treglio, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Located in a hilly area with a splendid view over the valley of the river Feltre, a few kilometers away from San Vito Chietino, a lively seaside resort.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 183 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 46 km
- Population: ca. 1600 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Paglieroni, Sacchetti, San Giorgio
- How to reach it: motorway A14 exit Lanciano; by road, SS 16 Adriatica.
It was for centuries under the monastery of San Giovanni in Venere, and was mentioned in 1204 as Santa Maria del Treglio in a papal bull. In 1346 the hamlet was destroyed by Lanciano, hostile to the abbey of San Giovanni in Venere. In the 15th century a feud of the city of Lanciano, for the civil jurisdiction was under the Bishop of Ortona.
What to see
- The parish church of Santa Maria Assunta
- The former bishop's palace of the latter half of the 18th century, with a rectangular façade on two levels, and a tower at the center.
Events and Festivities
- April 23: Feast of St. Giorgio
- 15-16 August: Feast of the Assumption.