Torricella Peligna, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Situated in a hilly area in the high valley of Aventino, offers a beautiful view that goes from the Maiella to the Adriatic.
Altitude: 800 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 54 km -- Population: ca. 1400 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66019 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- Frazioni: Colle del Ponte, Colle Zingaro, Fallascoso, Purgatoio, Riga Tre Confini, San Giusto -- How to reach it: motorway A14 (Bologna-Pescara-Foggia)exit Val Di Sangro then fast lane towards Castel di Sangro, at Piane d'Archi follow towards Casoli, then Gessopalena - road: from Naples/Rome: fast lane for Castel di Sangro, up to Rivisondoli then exit to Palena / Campo di Giove, follow towards Palena then take the road towards Montenerodomo / Torricella.
The territory has been inhabited since pre-Roman times, as testified by the finding of the tomb of a warrior (6 century B.C.), preserved in the National Archeological Museum of Chieti. In 1173, in a Papal bull, there is mention of the church of Sancti Jacobi de Turcella, while there are a number of mentions of Turricella in the Book of Decime. It belonged to the families of Orsini and Celaia.
Points of Interest
- The ruins of Juvanum, in the locality of the Madonna del Palazzo, a Roman city originating on a pre-existing italic settlement. The acropolis on top of the hill holds the remains of two temples and a theatre.
- War Memorial
Events & Festivities
- 22 June: Feast of St. Antonio of Padova
- End of July: Festival of the Blues
- Summer: International competition for lyric voices "Vincenzo Bellini."
- August: Festival of roasted foods and pasta and agriculture
- August: Feasts of Sts. Marziale, Domenico, and Rocco