Torricella Peligna, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Situated in a hilly area in the high valley of Aventino, offers a beautiful view that goes from the Maiella to the Adriatic.
- Altitude: 800 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 54 km
- Population: ca. 1400 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66019
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Colle del Ponte, Colle Zingaro, Fallascoso, Purgatoio, Riga Tre Confini, San Giusto
- How to reach it: motorway A14 (Bologna-Pescara-Foggia)exit Val Di Sangro then fast lane towards Castel di Sangro, at Piane d'Archi follow towards Casoli, then Gessopalena by road, from Naples/Rome, fast lane for Castel di Sangro, up to Rivisondoli then exit to Palena / Campo di Giove, follow towards Palena then take the road towards Montenerodomo / Torricella.
Follow us on Facebook
The territory has been inhabited since pre-Roman times, as testified by the finding of the tomb of a warrior (6 century B.C.), preserved in the National Archeological Museum of Chieti. In 1173, in a Papal bull, there is mention of the church of Sancti Jacobi de Turcella, while there are a number of mentions of Turricella in the Book of Decime. It belonged to the families of Orsini and Celaia.
What to see
- The ruins of Juvanum, in the locality of the Madonna del Palazzo, a Roman city originating on a pre-existing italic settlement. The acropolis on top of the hill holds the remains of two temples and a theatre.
- The War Memorial
Events and Festivities
- 22 June: Feast of St. Antonio of Padova
- Late July: Festival of the Blues
- Summer: International competition for lyric voices "Vincenzo Bellini."
- August: Festival of roasted foods and pasta and agriculture
- August: Feasts of Sts. Marziale, Domenico, and Rocco .
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, 6 v.della Pineta Torricella Peligna tel. +39 0872-969412
- Surnames presently recorded in Torricella Peligna
- People researching in Torricella Peligna
- Newspaper articles on Torricella Peligna.