Torrevecchia Teatina, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Located between the Iozzo and Vallepara stream, this small town enjoys a scenic position, halfway between Chieti and Pescara.
- Altitude: 240 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 9 km
- Population: ca. 4200 inhabitants in 2011
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Castelferrato, Torremontanara
- How to reach it: motorway A14 exit Pescara Ovest.
Follow us on Facebook
The place was mentioned for the first time in documents of the 14th century with the toponyms Castri Turris and Turris Theatina. It belonged, until the abolition of feudalism, to the Valignani family of Chieti.
What to see
- The medieval tower, at Torremontanara
- The Valignani palace, built as a summer residence in 1743 for Federico Valignani Marquis of Cepagatti. A typical villa of the time, it was built along a secondary sheep track that from the mountain went towards the water springs. Two-story high with a courtyard, it was modeled on the Villa d'Este in Tivoli; on the left side of the facade there is a corner tower, built later.
Events and Festivities
- First Sunday of May: Feast of Madonna della Libera
- 16 August: Feast of St. Rocco
- 17 August: Feast of St. Gabriele.