Torrevecchia Teatina, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Located between the Iozzo and Vallepara stream, this small town enjoys a scenic position, halfway between Chieti and Pescara.
Altitude: 240 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 9 km -- Population: ca. 4200 inhabitants in 2011 -- Zip code: 66010 -- Phone Area Code: 0871 -- Frazioni: Castelferrato, Torremontanara -- How to reach it: motorway A14 exit Pescara Ovest
The place was mentioned for the first time in documents of the 14th century with the toponyms Castri Turris and Turris Theatina. It belonged, until the abolition of feudalism, to the Valignani family of Chieti.
Points of Interest
- The medieval tower, at Torremontanara
- the Valignani palace, built as a summer residence in 1743 for Federico Valignani Marquis of Cepagatti. A typical villa of the time, it was built along a secondary sheep track that from the mountain went towards the water springs. Two-story high with a courtyard, it was modeled on the Villa d'Este in Tivoli; on the left side of the facade there is a corner tower, built later.
Events & Festivities
- First Sunday of May: Feast of Madonna della Libera
- 16 August: Feast of St. Rocco
- 17 August: Feast of St. Gabriele