Tollo, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Situated on a hill between the valleys of the Arielli river and the Venna stream, the town enjoys a beautiful panoramic position. Its territory is rich in olive groves and vineyards, which make it famous for the production of very good wine.
- Altitude: 152 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 23 km
- Population: ca. 4100 inhabitants in 2011
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Colle, Colle Cavalieri, Colle della Signora, Colle Secco, Macchie, Motrino, Pedine, Piano Mozzone, Sabatiniello, San Pietro, Santa Lucia, Venna
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Ortona; by road, SS 16 Adriatica.
Follow us on Facebook
Mentioned in the Libro delle Decime (=Book of Tithes) of 1308 with the name of Tullo, soon became a feud of Bartolomeo de Collalto and later belonged to the Nolli family. The second world war inflicted severe damage to the place.
What to see
- The parish church dedicated to Maria Santissima Assunta (=Our Lady of the Assumption) which houses a precious wooden statue of Our Lady of the Rosary.
Events and Festivities
- May: "Maggiolata tollese", with performances by folk choral groups.
- July: Wine Festival
- First Sunday in August: Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, with the reenactment of the battle between the Saracens and the Tollese in 1566, during which the inhabitants were saved by the aid of Our Lady of the Rosary.
Where to stay
- Hotel Ristorante Moreno - 15, ctr.motrino tel: 0871 961167/962167.