Schiavi d'Abruzzo, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Located below the summit of Monte Pizzuto (1290 m), above the loop of the river Trigno and the Sente stream. A picturesque flight of steps leads to the "rotonda", a green plateau offering a splendid view.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 1172m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 112 km
- Population: ca. 990 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66045
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- Frazioni: Badia, Cannavina, Casali, Cupello, Salce, San Martino, Taverna, Valli, Valloni
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Nord or Vasto Sud; by road, SS 86 from Vasto or SS 650 from Vasto.
Several human settlements (pre-Roman, Roman and medieval), are recorded in the area. Mentioned for the first time with the name Schavis or Sclavi in the Libro delle Decime (=Book of Tithes) at the beginning of the 14th century, the place belonged up to the late 18th century to the Caracciolo from San Buono.
What to see
- The church of St. Maurizio, with a stone facade and baroque portal and interior
- The remains of two Italic temples at Colle della Torre, one dating from the late 3rd century BC, the other from the early 1st century BC.
Events and Festivities
- August: Truffle Festival
- September 22: Feast of St. Maurizio
- September 23: Feast of St. Emidio.
Ancient photograph contributed by L. Ninni