Scerni, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 281 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 79 km
- Population: ca. 3400 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- Frazioni: Annunziata, Bardella, Caltrucci, Cerase, Colle Marrollo, Colle Orzo, Fontenuova, Piano dei Fiori, Ragna, San Giacomo, Torrone, Tratturo
- How to reach it: by road, A14 uscita Vasto Nord, then SS364 towards Atessa, and after a few km a secondary road to the right.
History - the Middle Ages
In the very early Middle Ages (9th century) when barbarians' invasion were over, in the area there were both monasteries depending from the Teate (=Chieti) diocesis and settlements ruled by Lombard lords. A map of the 1031 year shows settlements which can be identified with the now abandoned villages of Materno, Planasi, Sparpaglia and Terra di San Clemente, which depended from the powerful Monastery of Santa Maria di Farfa and later passed under the jurisdiction of Santa Maria di Tremiti.
History - Modern Times
Until the early 1700's Scerni was of lesser importance than nearby Villaragna. A large part of the territory was still dependent on the itinerant economy coming from the seasonal migration of the shepherds, who had a feudal right to pause and feed their sheep in the fields (this was the "stucco").
When the feudal system was abolished all over the Italian territory in 1806 by the Napoleonic administrations the whole transhumance system received a fatal blow and started to decay, and the wide territory known as the "stucco di Scerni" was given to the peasants. In Scerni meanwhile, already in the mid-18th century the powerful De Risio (later De Riseis, and Barons of Crecchio) family began to acquire properties and lands, as well as importance. The two events brought about the rise to importance of Scerni.
What to see
- The Parish Church of San Panfilo, with fine red brick facade.
- The Sanctuary of Madonna della Strada, with a Renaissance wooden madonna.
- The Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Penna, on the coas.
Events and Festivities
- 25 April: "Tavola di S. Panfilo", a large banquet for hundreds of guests.
- 28 April: Feast of St. Panfilo.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Scerni
- People researching in Scerni
- Newspaper articles on Scerni
- "Mappe e territorio", published by Tinari.