Santa Maria Imbaro, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Located on a ridge to the left of the Sangro river, the village is surrounded by fertile agricultural fields. It is home to the Institute of Pharmacological Research "Mario Negri Sud".
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 224 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 50 km
- Population: ca. 1800 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Colli, Fattore, Pagliarini, Perilli
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 wxit Lanciano; by road, SS 524 from Lanciano or Fossacesia.
The area was already inhabited in Roman times, as evidenced by several findings. In a document of 1017 there is a mention of the Church of Santa Maria in Baro, although only in 1528 a first census of the population was made, which recorded only twenty families, for the most part "schiavoni" (Slavic refugees).
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria in Baro, of ancient origins, although completely transformed, with a remarkable 13th-century wooden sculpture of the Virgin and Child.
Events and Festivities
- First half of August: Feast of the Patron Saint.
Where to stay
- Hotel Verde