San Salvo, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 100 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 86 km
- Population: ca. 19000 inhabitants on 2010
- Postal code: 66020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- Frazioni: San Salvo Marina, San Salvo Stazione
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 uscita Vasto Sud; by road, SS 16 Adriatica.
San Salvo began its social and economic revival after the discovery of methane deposits: this energy resource allowed to improve a degrading economy and to stop an encreasing emigration. New industries settled in the area, immigrants arrived from the hinterland, from the different Communes of the Region, and also from the South and North of Italy.
What to see
- The church of San Giuseppe, on the model of ancient basilicas.
Events & Festivities
- April 20: "Le Some"
- 27-28 April: Feast of San Vitale - after a festive procession of carriages laden with flour, the women prepare pasta in honour of San Vitale which is cooked and eaten in the main square.
- Late May: Feast of the Madonna delle Grazie
- Early June: Feast of San Nicola
- 16-17 June: Feast of Saints Vito and Antonio
- For some years now there has been the tradition on 15th August of fireworks on the sea, in rivalry with the town of Vasto.
- 18 September: Festa of S. Rocco
- 20 December, in 1765 of the relics of San Vitale were brought to San Salvo; to commemorate the event, and in honor of the saint on this day at dusk in the main square a huge bonfire of wood is lit and kept burning throughout the night.
- 29 December: Bonfires for San Tommaso.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames recorded in San Salvo in the 1840's
- People researching in San Salvo
- Newspaper articles on San Salvo.
- Images of San Salvo