San Martino sulla Marrucina, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Situated on a hill, the village offers a beautiful view of the Valley of the Foro river. It houses the important Masciarelli winery, and 2 Masciarelli have a star in the Walk of Fame: Garry Marshall and his sister Penny.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 420 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 20 km
- Population: ca. 1000 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Colle di Paolo, Fontana, Gamberale, Magrellino, Colle Crudele, Piane Sermane, Piano Palomba
- How to reach it: by motorway, A25 exit Chieti; by road, SS 81 from Chieti.
Founded in the Middle Ages, in the Catalogus Baronum (1150-1168) it is mentioned as Sanctum Martinum, while the ancient church of St. Cristinziano was built in 1151. In the early 15th century it was under the Furlani, and at the end of the 18th century it was a fief of the Tambelli. During the Second World War the area was severely damaged.
What to see
- The parish church of San Cristinziano Martyr.
Events and Festivities
- 18-19 March: Feast of patron St. Giuseppe.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames in San Martino sulla Marrucina
- People researching in San Martino sulla Marrucina
- Newspaper articles on San Martino sulla Marrucina.