San Giovanni Teatino, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Situated on a hill overlooking the valley of the river Pescara, until 1894 San Giovanni was called Forcobobolina. In recent years the place has undergone a remarkable industrial development, especially in the area of Sambuceto.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 145 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 11 km
- Population: ca. 12400 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- Frazioni: D'Ilio, Di Nisio, Dragonara, Fontechiaro, Sambuceto, Valle Lunga
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Pescara Ovest/Chieti; by road, SS 16.
In its area Roman and pre-Roman construction were discovered. In a document of 1173 a village with the name of Silva Sambuceti was mentioned, while San Giovanni appeared with the name of castellum Furca in 1095. The two centres belonged, until the abolition of feudalism, to the Mensa Vescovile of Chieti.
What to see
- The Parish church of the 19th century.
Events and Festivities
- 20-21 August: Feast of San Gabriele and San Rocco.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- People researching in San Giovanni Teatino
- Newspaper articles on San Giovanni Teatino
- Civil Records: 1809-1865, 1880, 1885, 1894 as Forcabobolina, as San Giovanni Teatino 1895 to 1899.