San Giovanni Lipioni, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Picturesque borough perched on a rocky crest, which overlooks the valley of the river Trigno.
- Altitude: 545 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 115 km
- Population: ca. 210 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Sud; by road, SS 650 from San Salvo.
Follow us on Facebook
Built on the site of a Roman pagus belonging to the municipium of Terventum, appeared in an early medieval document as Sanctus Johannes a podio Bacco; the name changed later to S. Giovanni Lupino and again, S. Giovanni Lupione. In the 18th century it was under the Marinelli family.
What to see
- The Fortified Borough of the 13th-14th centuries developed on a ridge with houses arranged according to a comb-like layout, along a median axis north-south with the parish church to the north. Among the most typical features are the "house-walls" with sloping outside walls, with service roads passing through porches, terraces, archways and underground passages.
- The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (our Lady of Graces) of the 18th century, at the highest point of the village, on a site occupied in antiquity by a pagan temple, mentioned in the Tabula Osca of Agnone.
- The Chapel of Santa Liberata, outside the village, built between the 12th and 13th centuries, with a peculiar cross-shaped rosewindow on a stone facade with two mullioned windows.
Events and Festivities
- October: Festival of scrippelle (typical Abruzzese crepes).
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in San Giovanni Lipioni
- People researching in San Giovanni Lipioni
- Newspaper articles on San Giovanni Lipioni.