San Buono, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Situated on a hill overlooking the valley of the Treste river, this beautiful centre preserves important buildings of the 17th and 18th centuries.
Altitude: 470 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 97 km -- Population: ca. 1040 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66050 -- Phone Area Code: 0873 -- Frazioni: Convento Frati Minori, Pantano, Sodero -- How to reach it: motorway: A14 exit Vasto Nord or Vasto Sud - road: SS 86 from Vasto
The name is mentioned for the first time in the 11th century, though at Fonte San Nicola traces from the italic period were found. It was under the di Sangro, then came as dowry to the Caracciolo, who retained until the abolition of feudalism (1806).
Points of Interest
- The parish church of San Lorenzo, with paintings of the Neapolitan school of the 17th century and a beautiful marble altar of the 18th century
- The Fontana Vecchia an old fountain (16th century) used for laundry washing with typical arches and stone basin
- the Convent of Sant'Antonio, in the countryside just outside the village, whose church has a beautiful 18th-century façade.
- Museo per l'Arte, l'Archeologia e la Cultura del Vastese, located inside the convent of St. Anthony, which houses artifacts of the peoples who lived in the area, including a tusk dating to 40,000 years ago from Scerni, funeral ornaments from Gissi, Villalfonsina and Carpineto Sinello, objects with inscriptions in Oscan, as well as a Roman section and a section devoted to ceramics and majolica.
Events & Festivities
- 12-13 June: Feast of St. Anttony of Padua