San Buono, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Situated on a hill overlooking the valley of the Treste river, this beautiful centre preserves important buildings of the 17th and 18th centuries.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 470 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 97 km
- Population: ca. 1040 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- Frazioni: Convento Frati Minori, Pantano, Sodero
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Nord or Vasto Sud; by road, SS 86 from Vasto.
The name is mentioned for the first time in the 11th century, though at Fonte San Nicola traces from the italic period were found. It was under the di Sangro, then came as dowry to the Caracciolo, who retained until the abolition of feudalism (1806).
What to see
- The parish church of San Lorenzo, with paintings of the Neapolitan school of the 17th century and a beautiful marble altar of the 18th century
- The Fontana Vecchia an old fountain (16th century) used for laundry washing with typical arches and stone basin
- The Convent of Sant'Antonio, in the countryside just outside the village, whose church has a beautiful 18th-century façade.
- The Museo per l'Arte, l'Archeologia e la Cultura del Vastese, located inside the convent of St. Anthony, which houses artifacts of the peoples who lived in the area, including a tusk dating to 40,000 years ago from Scerni, funeral ornaments from Gissi, Villalfonsina and Carpineto Sinello, objects with inscriptions in Oscan, as well as a Roman section and a section devoted to ceramics and majolica.
Events and Festivities
- 12-13 June: Feast of St. Anttony of Padua.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in San Buono
- People researching in San Buono
- Newspaper articles on San Buono.