Rosello, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Perched on a cliff, overlooking the valley of the Sangro River, the village is surrounded by dense forests, and includes in its territory the Natural Oasis Abetina di Rosello.
Altitude: 920 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 95 km -- Population: ca. 260 in 2010 inhabitants -- Zip code: 66040 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- Frazioni: Colle Tasso, Giuliopoli -- How to reach it: motorway: A14 exit Val di Sangro - road: SS 81 from Chieti or SS 84 from Lanciano, then SS 652
Colonized in the Middle Ages by Benedictine monks of the Abbey of San Giovanni in Verde, the place was mentioned for the first time in a document of the 12th century. It belonged to the Caldora, Del Gesso, Bernardi and Caracciolo; Giulio Caracciolo ordered the construction of the nearby village of Giuliopoli. The area suffered serious damages during the Second World War.
Points of Interest
- The Church of San Nicola, mentioned in a manuscript of 1541, but totally rebuilt after the earthquake of 1703
- Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of Graces), just outside the town in the hamlet of Le Macchie, dating back to the early 18th century. Inside there is a painting by an anonymous artist, perhaps of the Neapolitan or Leonardo's school, depicting the Madonna del Purgatorio.
- Natural Oasis Abetina di Rosello, extending 211 acres, which is one of the last forests of silver firs. The Reserve includes Mount Castellano (1279 m a.s.l.) and is entirely crossed by the Turcano river, a tributary of the Sangro.
Events & Festivities
- September 8: Feast of Madonna delle Grazie, with a procession of the statue from house to house
- August: gourmet festival "Arritruvemmece a la piazza" (=let's meet in the square)
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Hotel Quadrifoglio