Roccaspinalveti, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Agricultural and sheep-raising center of the Apennines along the upper valley of the Sinello river.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 740 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 104 km
- Population: ca. 1400 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- Frazioni: Acquaviva, Bisceglie, Chiuse, Fatticce, Fonte Santa Maria, Olmi, Pontone, Quercialtieri, Salconeto, San Cristoforo, Santa Giusta, Serre, Tesoro, Vallocchie, Vigna Monaci.
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Nord; by road, SS 86 from Vasto.
Ancient rest point along the transhumance routes, the place was mentioned in documents of the 14th century. Rebuilt further downstream in the 19th century, it belonged to the Caracciolo family from San Buono.
What to see
- The church of San Michele Arcangelo, with an organ of the 18th century and beautiful papier-mâché statues created by Michele Falcucci from Atessa.
- The ruins of the ancient borough, on one of the summits of Mount Trimonte (1150 m.), abandoned because of erosion since the 17th century.
Events and Festivities
- 11 July: Feast of San Pio
- 15 August: festival of "Agnello alla Brace" (barbecued lamb).