Rocca San Giovanni, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
A stone's throw from the Adriatic Sea, this beautiful village is situated on a rocky ridge, in a highly panoramic position.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 155 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 49 km
- Population: ca. 2300 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Acquarelli, Foce, Lappeto, Montegranaro, Perazza, Piane di Marche, Piane Favaro, Pocafeccia, Pontone del Signore, Puncichitti, San Giacomo, Santa Calcagna, Tagliaferri, Vallevò, Vetiche
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Lanciano; by road, S.S. 16 Adriatica.
The first settlements go back to the early medieval period; the place was donated by the Earl of Chieti Trasmondo II to the abbey of San Giovanni in Venere, which made it into a fortified borough.
What to see
- The parish church of San Matteo (13th century), which had many alterations at different periods.
- The Torrione dei Filippini (Tower of the Philippines), and around the town long stretches of the ancient walls, built by the Normans in 1061.
Events and Festivities
- Early August: Festivals of Nature, of the Emigrant, and the Accordion.