Roccamontepiano, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
This is a "comune sparso" (with no centre, made up of many small hamlets) on the slopes of Monte Piano and surrounded by forests, with townhall located at San Rocco.
Altitude: 458 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 25 km -- Population: ca. 1800 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66010 -- Phone Area Code: 0871 -- Frazioni: Baroni, Cappuccini, Cinquina, Corsi, Fanatici, Francione, Giancamillo, Giancoli, Legnini, Liberati, Manicottelli, Moreto, Pilati, Pioppi, Pomaro, Reginaldo, San Rocco, Terranova, Tracanna -- How to reach it: motorway: A25 exit Chieti - road: SS 81 from Chieti
On the site there was an ancient Lombard fortress, cited many times from the 12th to the 14th century. Colonized by the Benedictines at the turn of 1100, in 1765 it was destroyed by a severe landslide, and was rebuilt in a lower location. It was a fiefdom of the Orsini family, Bartolomeo di Alviano and finally the Colonna.
Points of Interest
- The remains of the Monastery of San Pietro a Majella
- The 18th-century Convent of the Caracciolini
- The spring of San Rocco, a popular destination because it is said that its water is beneficial in the treatment of skin diseases.
Events & Festivities
- May 1st: Feast of St. Giuseppe
- May 8:Feast of St. Francesco Caracciolo
- 15-16 August: Feast of St. Rocco, Sagra della Porchetta e del Cocomero (pork and watermelon festival), on the 15th during the festival a traditional sale of pitchers.
- November 4: Feast of St. Carlo