Ripa Teatina, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Perched on a hill to the right of the Alento river, this ancient village near Chieti is also famous for being the birthplace of Pierino Marchegiano, father of the great champion Rocco Francis Marchegiano (aka Rocky Marciano).
- Altitude: 199 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 11 km
- Population: ca. 4200 inhabitants in 2012
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Castello, Cesare Augusto, Cianchino, Colletti, Foro, Galliani, Giampaolo, Martelli, Quattro Strade, Rasiccio, Ricciuti, Rosario, Taccarelli, Tiboni, Trettornesi
- How to reach it: by motorway, A25 exit Chieti or A14 exit Pescara Sud.
Follow us on Facebook
Already in Roman times there was a settlement called Castrum Teate to defend the city of Chieti, at the time called Teate. In the Middle Ages the town changed its name to Ripa de Teti, and under the Aragonese a network of sighting towers was built, two of which are still extant. The current name was mentioned for the first time in the 13th century, in the territory colonized by Benedictine monks as early as the 10th century. It was a fief of the Caracciolo, who acquired the place towards the end of the 16th century.
What to see
- The ancient walls with two round towers at the entrance of the centre.
- The Convent of San Francesco (16th-18th centuries).
- The Parish church of San Pietro Apostolo, with beautiful paintings by Ludovico de Majo and stuccos by Carlo Piazzoli.
Events and Festivities
- July: Festival of "sagne"
- August: Sagra di Ferragosto (=Feast of the Assumption), with music shows
- September: Patron feast and Sagra della Porchetta (roasted pork festival).
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- People researching in Ripa Teatina
- Newspaper articles on Ripa Teatina
- Official Website of the Comune of Ripa Teatina.