Quadri, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This beautiful village is nestled in the valley of the Sangro river, surrounded by thick forests.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 640 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 93 km
- Population: ca. 880 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Mastarcangelo, Pamparielle
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Val di Sangro; by road, SS 81 from Chieti or SS 84 from Lanciano, then SS 652.
The area was inhabited before Roman times, as shown by the remains of an Italic temple beneath the ruins of the church of Our Lady of Spineto. Benedictine monks lived here already in the early Middle Ages. Mentioned in the 12th century, the village formed to provide farm laborers and artisans to the Benedictine monastery. Later it was a feud of Raimondo Caldora (15th century) and the D'Ambrosio family.
What to see
- The ruins of the ancient Church of Madonna dello Spineto (Our Lady of Spineto).
- The Remains of the ancient baronial mansion.
- The Parish church of San Giovanni Battista, with a beautiful wooden statue of the Virgin and Child.
- The Majella National Park.
Events and Festivities
- 20 January: Feast of St. Sebastiano.
- August: "Settimana Quadrese".