Pretoro, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Lying on a ridge crest, the village offers panoramic views of the valley of the Sangro and the Aventino, as well as on the Maiella and the overlying Colle della Serra, covered with forests. In recent years, the presence of the industrial area of Val di Sangro has favored the development of the suburb of Piane Pretoro.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 560 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 22 km
- Population: ca. 1000 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Colle Pagnotto, Passo Lanciano, Piane Pretoro, Ponte
- How to reach it: by motorway, A25 exit Chieti; by road, SS 81 from Chieti.
It is thought that near Fonte Tasca an ancient settlement existed during the Bronze Age, whereas the current fortified borough was established from 1200 AD onwards. Thanks to its position, Pretoro was for centuries an important strategic point and, together with Roccascalegna and Casoli, a strong defensive line. It was a feud of many prominent families, including the del Balzo, the Cantelmo, the Corona and Carafa.
What to see
- Long stretches of the medieval walls.
- The ruins of the Castle (11th century), already rebuilt in the 15th century, but then almost completely destroyed during the Second World War.
- The ski slopes of La Maielletta.
Events and Festivities
- 8 to 9 May: Feast of St. Nicola.
- 9 and 10 August: on the Night of San Lorenzo, Itinerant festival of Taste, Music, Crafts and Traditions, organized by the seven old quarters of the city center.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, v.dei Mulini, 66010 Pretoro (Ch), tel: +39 0871 898131
- Parrocchia Sant'Andrea, 7, v. girone 66010 Pretoro (Ch), tel: +39 0871 898101
- People researching in Pretoro
- Newspaper articles on Pretoro.