Pollutri, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Pollutri lies on a gentle hill among vineyards and olive trees, between the Sinello and Osento rivers. It is still surrounded by the medieval walls erected as a protection against the invasions of Saracens.
Altitude: 180 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 72 km -- Population: ca. 2300 inhabitants in 2011 -- Zip code: 66020 -- Phone Area Code: 0873 -- Frazioni: Civita, Crivella, Martina, Piano Croce, Piano Palme, Piano Valle, San Barbato -- How to reach it: motorway: A14 exit Vasto Nord
In the territory traces of a pre-Roman settlement have been found, and the area developed greatly in the Middle Ages thanks to the nearby monastery of San Barbato. In the XV century it was a fiefdom under Antonio Caldora, and later on the di Capua and d'Avalos families.
Points of Interest
- Madonna dei Miracoli - the sanctuary in Casalbordino was built after a miraculous vision. On 11 june 1576 there was a terrible hail and Alessandro Muzio, an old peasant from Pollutri went to check what had happened to his wheatfield in the Piana del Lago. Before he could reach it, he heard the church bells and knelt down to pray: right at that moment he saw Our Lady, who told him his field was spared, since he had prayed, and invited him to tell the parish priest that the other peasants had been punished for not respecting the Third Commandment. A chapel was built on the place, and the peasant's son became a priest and wrote down his father's story on a paper that is still kept in the sanctuary.
- Palazzo del Re
- Palazzo D'Agostino
- Bosco di Don Venanzio, a forest is named after his last owner. 3 miles from the sea, it is one of the last great forests that once followed the course of rivers in the plains. This green sanctuary is protected against any human damage, tree cuts, plant and flower picking are forbidden, no roads or buildings can be made.
Events & Festivities
- August: Grapes and Wine festival
- 5 December: Broad beans festival; the beans are boiled in six giant pots, then sold and eaten out of devotion for Saint Nicholas
- 6 December: Feast of San Nicola di Bari, protector of shepherds and patron saint of Pollutri