Pizzoferrato, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
The village lies in the valley of the Sangro, leaning against a rock on which stand the ruins of the castle and the church of St. Nicola.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 1251 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 102 km
- Population: ca. 1100 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Castiglione, Collalto, Turchi, Valle del Sole
- How to reach it: by road, SS 652 from Castel di Sangro or from Lanciano.
The place was mentioned in the 12th century in the Catalogus Baronum as Pictum Ferratum. During the 15th century it became a fief of Raimondo Caldora and later, among others, of the d'Aquino and Monaco families.
What to see
- The ruins of the Castle
- The church of San Nicola
- Nearby, the church of St. Domenico Silvio
- Majella National Park.
Events and Festivities
- End of July: Lamb festival at Castiglione
- 4-5 August: feast of patron St. Domenico
- 8 to 9 September: Feast of Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of Grace).