Pietraferrazzana, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This small village in the valley of the Sangro river, runs along a rocky ridge dominated by the ruins of the old castle, not far from Sangro Lake.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 357 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 81 km
- Population: ca. 130 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Val di Sangro; by road, SS 81 from Chieti or SS 84 from Lanciano, then SS 652.
Listed in the Catalogus Baronum (1150-1168) as Petram Garanzanam, in the early 14th century appeared as Petraguaranzana. It belonged to the Ricci, the Caracciolo, de Tino, Niccolò and finally to the Ariani family. It was a commune until 1923, then was part of the municipality of Colledimezzo, and again became a commune in 1963.
What to see
- The ruins of the Castle
- The 17th-century baroque Church of Santa Vittoria, with interesting altars in stucco.
Events and Festivities
- 23 December: Feast of patron Santa Vittoria.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Pietraferrazzana
- People researching in Pietraferrazzana
- Newspaper articles on Pietraferrazzana.