It was renowned in the past for its stone carvers, and one of the features of its architecture is the use of stone, finely worked to adorn windows, doors and balconies with sculptures of fruit, animals, faces.
Pennapiedimonte, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Situated along the rocky slopes of the Maiella overlooking the Avella river, the village has a territory rich in natural attractions and offers a wonderful view on one side of the "Tre Grotte" Valley with the highest peaks of the mountain (2500-2700 m), and on the other side out to the sea. It is scarcely populated, but has a wide territory which reaches 2676 meters with the Focalone Mountain.
- Altitude: 669 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 29 km
- Population: ca. 500 in 2010 inhabitants
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Capolegrotti, Caprafico, Colli, Coste dei Colli, Defenza, Fontana, Laio, Pisavini, Raiese, San Giovanni, Vicende
- How to reach it: by motorway, A25 exit Chieti, then SS 81.
Follow us on Facebook
Inhabited since prehistoric times, the village takes its name from Lapennam. An important strategic point first for the Normans and later for the Swabians, it was from the 15th century a fiefdom of the Orsini and Colonna families.
What to see
- The parish church of Saints Silvestro and Rocco(1710-1725), with beautiful facade in Maiella stone and interesting frescoes inside of Nicola Ranieri from Guardiagrele (1749-1850)
- The Natural Reservoir Feudo Ugni
- The National Park of the Maiella
- The countryside, characterized by a very typical terraced structure, for which reason it was declared a national monument.
Events and Festivities
- 16 August: Feast of St. Brigida.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Images of Pennapiedimonte
- Surnames presently recorded in Pennapiedimonte
- People researching in Pennapiedimonte.