Palombaro, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
The village, with beautiful views of the Avello Valley, includes part of the Nature Reserve Feudo Ugni. From here rises Mount Martellese (m.2258), one of the highest summits of the Maiella.
- Altitude: 536 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 39 km
- Population: ca. 1100 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Limiti, Tornelli, Caprafico (partly)
- How to reach it: by road, SS 81 from Chieti, then SS 263 from Guardiagrele.
Follow us on Facebook
The name appears for the first time in the Catalogus Baronum as Palombarum, probably derived from palombarius, meaning "falcon". On the site there was a Roman settlement. It was a feud among others, of the Letto, the D'Ugno, the Borghese, the Castiglione families.
What to see
- The Santuario dell'Assunta (Shrine of the Assumption), with a Gothic belltower of the 19th century.
- The Not far from the village, the impressive Sant'Angelo Grotto, with inside the remains of a small medieval church.
- The Natural Reserve Feudo Ugni
- The Majella National Park.
Events and Festivities
- 15 August: Feast of the Assumption
- 3 November: Feast of Madonna della Libera (= the worship goes back to an apparition of Our Lady on 2 July 663 AD at Benevento to free the city from the siege of Emperor Costante II. Our Lady appeared with the cross engraved on the palm of her right hand).