Palombaro, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
The village, with beautiful views of the Avello Valley, includes part of the Nature Reserve Feudo Ugni. From here rises Mount Martellese (m.2258), one of the highest summits of the Maiella.
Altitude: 536 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 39 km -- Population: ca. 1100 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66010 -- Phone Area Code: 0871 -- Frazioni: Limiti, Tornelli, Caprafico (partly) -- How to reach it: - road: SS 81 from Chieti, then SS 263 from Guardiagrele
The name appears for the first time in the Catalogus Baronum as Palombarum, probably derived from palombarius, meaning "falcon". On the site there was a Roman settlement. It was a feud among others, of the Letto, the D'Ugno, the Borghese, the Castiglione families.
Points of Interest
- the Santuario dell'Assunta (Shrine of the Assumption), with a Gothic belltower of the 19th century
- Not far from the village, the impressive Sant'Angelo Grotto, with inside the remains of a small medieval church
- Natural Reserve Feudo Ugni
- Majella National Park
Events & Festivities
- 15 August: Feast of the Assumption
- 3 November: Feast of Madonna della Libera (= the worship goes back to an apparition of Our Lady on 2 July 663 AD at Benevento to free the city from the siege of Emperor Costante II. Our Lady appeared with the cross engraved on the palm of her right hand)