Palmoli, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Located on top of an isolated hill, along the valley of the river Treste, Palmoli is an interesting agricultural, commercial and tourist centre, renowned for woodworking.
- Altitude: 711 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 106 km
- Population: ca. 980 inhabitants in 2011
- Postal code: 66050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- Frazioni: Cannavela, Fonte la Casa, Immerse, Melania, Pezzo Grosso, Santo Ianni
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Sud; by road, s.n. 650 da S. Salvo o s.n. 86 da Vasto.
Follow us on Facebook
Mentioned for the first time in the Catalogue of the Barons (1150-1168) as Palmulam, its name may derive from palmes, meaning "vine." It was ruled by the di Sangro until 1532, when it passed under Camillo Severino.
What to see
- The Castle (marquis palace) of the 12th century, of which there are extant only one polygonal bastion and a low cylindrical tower.
- The Sanctuary of the Madonna del Carmine Madonna del Carmine (16th century), with baroque interiors, interesting paintings and statues.
- The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (1780), with baroque portal and interior.
- The Civic Museum.
Events and Festivities
- 12 August: Festival of "ventricina" and "spezzatino palmolese" (=casserole).