Paglieta, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Located between the Val di Sangro and the Adriatic Sea, Paglieta is a beautiful hill town surrounded by olive groves.
Altitude: 235 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 57 km -- Population: ca. 4500 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66020 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- Frazioni: Collemici, Molina, Piana del Mulino,Pedicagne di Colle Martino, Colle Martino, Piano la Barca, Prato, Ranco, Sant'Egidio, Torre -- How to reach it: motorway: A14 exit Val di Sangro
Inhabited in pre-Roman times, the first official mention of the place is at the end of the 12th century AD as Palletum and Castrum Palletae (palea being in Latin a bale of cereals). A fief of Lanciano, in 1533 it was donated by Charles V to Rodorico Arripalda, then passed in 1577 to Laura Mormile Pignatelli, to whose family belonged until the abolition of feudalism (1806).
Points of Interest
- The Civic tower, built on an ancient gateway to the village
Events & Festivities
- Holy Thursday: Canto della Passione (Song of the Passion)
- First Sunday after Easter: Feast of St. Vincenzo
- 30 to 31 May: Feast of Saints Canzio, Canziano and Canzianella
- 12-13-14 July: Feast of St. Giusto
- 16 August: Sagra del dolce (Festival of cakes)