Monteodorisio, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This ancient village rises in a strategic position along the valley of the Sinello river, a few miles away from the Adriatic Sea.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 315 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 77 km
- Population: ca. 2600 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Sud.
The site was inhabited in Roman times, as shown by remains of the early Chrisian era. In the Middle Ages its key strategic position was strengthened by a massive castle which still stands on top of the village. Later on it was under the Caldora and the d'Avalos.
What to see
- The 15th-century Castle.
- The remains of the medieval city walls.
- Suriani Palace, with frescos by artists Biondi and D'Agostino.
- The Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie, a favourite destination for pilgrims.
Events and Festivities
- 6 September: Feast of Madonna delle Grazie, with pilgrims coming in huge numbers.