Montenerodomo, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This ancient centre lies on a high rock overlooking the Adriatic to the East and the Majella to the west, and was the homeplace of the ancestors of philosopher Benedetto Croce.
- Altitude: 1165 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 62 km
- Population: ca. 770 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Casale, Fonticelle, Marangola, Schiera, Selvoni, Verlinghiera
- How to reach it: by road, S.S. 84 from Lanciano or Roccaraso.
Follow us on Facebook
Inhabited since prehistory, it was later an Italic centre of the Frentani with the name of Juvanum, and in Roman times a municipium. In the Middle Ages it was under the Caldoras, and finally the d'Aquinos. World War two seriously damaged the centre, and was responsible for the destruction of the ancient Croce palace.
What to see
- The Megalithic walls around the settlement.
- The Roman remains at Juvanum.
- The Monastery of Santa Maria di Palazzo, built with a great number of Roman stones.
- The remains of the Croce home
- The Majella National Park.
Events and Festivities
- First week in August: Feast of Saints Antonio and Fedele, with Lamb, Sausages and Prosciutto Festivals.