Monteferrante, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Immersed in a wonderful natural landscape among pastures and green woods, north of the Lupara mountain, this village is a precious relic of Abruzzo lore. In the past it was plagued by raids of brigands and disastrous landslides, which may be the reasosn for its being so underpopulated now.
Altitude: 800 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 89 km -- Population: ca. 140 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66040 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- How to reach it: - road: SS 652 from Castel di Sangro or Lanciano (A14 uscita Lanciano)
An Italic necropolis was found in the nearby countryside, which shows there was a settlement in pre-Roman times. Then in the early 12th century the Di Sangro family is recorded as lords of this feifdom and built a castle whose ruins can still be seen. The place was probably named after King Ferrante d'Aragona, and for a long time was ruled by the powerful Caracciolo family.
Points of Interest
- The medieval borough, with narrow alleys and old stone houses
- The village church
- The remains of the monastery of Santa Maria on the nearby mountains
- the Treno della Valle, a railway line connecting 29 centres of the Sangro Valley
- in the so-called Valle Macchia, a renowned, diuretic mineral spring, which might be a strong attractive for a rebirth of the place as a very specialized tourist destination.
Events & Festivities
- 19 March: the "tavole di San Giuseppe" - for the Feast of San Giuseppe, tables are prepared by the local families for relatives and guests with an image of St. Joseph in the centre.
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- RISTORANTE LA FONTANA - 8 p.Vittorio Emanuele +39 0872 940401