Monteferrante, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Immersed in a wonderful natural landscape among pastures and green woods, north of the Lupara mountain, this village is a precious relic of Abruzzo lore. In the past it was plagued by raids of brigands and disastrous landslides, which may be the reasosn for its being so underpopulated now.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 800 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 89 km
- Population: ca. 140 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- How to reach it: by road, SS 652 from Castel di Sangro or Lanciano; by motorway, A14 uscita Lanciano.
An Italic necropolis was found in the nearby countryside, which shows there was a settlement in pre-Roman times. Then in the early 12th century the Di Sangro family is recorded as lords of this feifdom and built a castle whose ruins can still be seen. The place was probably named after King Ferrante d'Aragona, and for a long time was ruled by the powerful Caracciolo family.
What to see
- The medieval borough, with narrow alleys and old stone houses.
- The village church.
- The remains of the monastery of Santa Maria on the nearby mountains.
- The Treno della Valle, a railway line connecting 29 centres of the Sangro Valley.
- In the so-called Valle Macchia, a renowned, diuretic mineral spring, which might be a strong attractive for a rebirth of the place as a very specialized tourist destination.
Events and Festivities
- 19 March: the "tavole di San Giuseppe" - for the Feast of San Giuseppe, tables are prepared by the local families for relatives and guests with an image of St. Joseph in the centre.
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, c.Umberto 66040 MONTEFERRANTE (Chieti)
- Surnames presently recorded in Monteferrante.
- People researching in Monteferrante.