Montebello sul Sangro, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
The village remains, old stone houses on a steep mountain hovering above Lake Sangro, still mark the landscape with a peculiar, age old beauty. The present settlement lies below the original site, insecure after a landslide and seriously damaged during the Second World War.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 810 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 93 km
- Population: ca. 100 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- How to reach it: by road, SS 652 from Castel di Sangro or Lanciano.
In the 12th century this small centre was called Malanoctem; later on the name was changed to Buonanotte, until the present name took hold. Throughout the centuries it belonged to the de Anichino and Malvezzi families.
What to see
- The remains of the medieval village.
Events and Festivities
- 28-30 August: Feast of San Giovanni Battista.