Lettopalena, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
A few miles away from the border with the Province of L'Aquila, the present village has been completely rebuilt after a disastrous 1933 earthquake and World War Two bombings. It is a quiet centre, with the beautiful Fonte della Noce park nearby.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 680 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 61 km
- Population: ca. 370 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- How to reach it: by road, SS 84 from Roccaraso.
The village rose in the 11th century, and in the 15th belonged to powerful lord Antonio Caldora.
What to see
- Abbey of Santa Maria di Monteplanizio, with a simple, irregular facade, and an important painting by 19th-century artist Oreste Recchione from Palena
- Fonte della Noce Park, with picnic sites and beautiful itineraries
- The Majella National Park.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Lettopalena
- People researching in Lettopalena
- Newspaper articles on Lettopalena.
Events and Festivities
- First week in August: Feast of Saints Vincenzo and Maria Assunta.