Lentella, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Near the border with Molise and just below Mount Calvario, this small mountain village lies between the Treste and Trigno rivers.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 398 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 92 km
- Population: ca. 700 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit San Salvo; by road, SS 650 from San Salvo.
Of medieval origin, the village had a certain importance in the XII century and later belonged to the powerful d'Avalos family. Since the end of the XIX century, a massive emigration marked the beginning of a slow decadence of the area, and most old houses are now abandoned.
What to see
- The church of Saints Cosma and Damiano, with a fine Romanesque-Gothic facade in two colours (typical of Southern Italian architecture which dominates the landscaspe with the profile of its bell-tower).
Events and Festivities
- 26-28 September: Feast of Saints Cosma and Damiano, with a procession of girls in traditional costumes bearing Abruzzese copper pots.