Lama dei Peligni, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Situated on the border with the Province of L'Aquila, just below Mount Amaro, Lama comprises in its territory the Natural Oasis Majella Orientale, and is a starting point for many beautiful trekking excursions, as well as horseback and biking itineraries.
Altitude: 669 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 53 km -- Population: about 1,400 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66010 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- Frazioni: Corpi Santi, Fonti Rossi, Vaccarda, Piani Marini -- How to reach it: road: SS 81 from Chieti, then SS 84; motorway: A25 exit Chieti
Inhabited since pre-historic times, in the 12th century was, with nearby Palena, Taranta Peligna e Lettopalena, one of the key defence points along the way to Chieti on the Southwestern Valvense direction. The area suffered extensive damages in a 1933 earthquake and Second World War bombings.
Points of Interest
- Church of San Nicola (16th century), with Baroque furnishings
- Sant'Angelo Grotto, which has been a religious destination for centuries
- Cavallone Grotto, famous for its beautiful concretions and for being a background for some scenes in D'Annunzio's "Figlia di Iorio" (a tragedy with fantastic and traditional elements)
- the Majella National Park
Events & Festivities
- 17 January: Feast of Sant'Antonio
- Last Sunday in April: "sagne" and beans festival
- 26 December: Feast of Santa Barbara and "Ballo della Pupa", with "bruschetta" (slices of grilled, hand-made bread spiced with garlic, oil and salt) and lentils festival.
Genealogy, News & Links
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Restaurants: Pizzeria Grotte Del Cavallone 9, P. Del Mercato - Tel +39 0872-91448 | Carillon, Vc. ii Piazza 1 - Tel +39 0872-91412 | Al Paiolo d'Oro, N.Ctr.Fico San Martino 11 - Tel +39 0872-916061