Gissi, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This ancient medieval borough welcomes the visitor with its fine buildings, on a hill along the river Sinello, among fruit trees, vineyards and green woods.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 499 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 87 km
- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66052
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- Frazioni: Peschiola, Pianospedale, Pianquerceto, Rosario, Tratturo
- How to reach it: by road, SS 86 from Vasto; by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Nord.
Inhabited since prehistoric times, this small centre was an important and powerful citadel already in the XII century. Later on it came under the influential d'Avalos family.
What to see
- The medieval citadel, with fine buildings, balconies and alleys
- The remains of the Castle.
Events and Festivities
- 20 May: Feast of St. Bernardino from Siena
(whose body is L'Aquila, in the basilica of the same name).
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, l.go La Porta, 66052 Gissi (CH) - tel. (+39) 0873 93412
- Parrocchia, In San Bernardino, v.la Chiesa 1, 66052 Gissi (CH) - tel. (+39) 0873 93479
- People researching in Gissi.