Gissi, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
This ancient medieval borough welcomes the visitor with its fine buildings, on a hill along the river Sinello, among fruit trees, vineyards and green woods.
Altitude: 499 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 87 km -- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66052 -- Phone Area Code: 0873 -- Frazioni: Peschiola, Pianospedale, Pianquerceto, Rosario, Tratturo -- How to reach it: road: SS 86 from Vasto; motorway: A14 exit Vasto Nord
Inhabited since prehistoric times, this small centre was an important and powerful citadel already in the XII century. Later on it came under the influential d'Avalos family.
Points of Interest
- The medieval citadel, with fine buildings, balconies and alleys
- The remains of the castle
Events & Festivities
- 20 May: Feast of St. Bernardino from Siena
(whose body is L'Aquila, in the basilica of the same name)
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Ristorante La Griglia, v. dello Stadio 34, 66052 Gissi (CH) - tel. (+39) 0873 937560
Genealogy, News & Links
- Municipio, l.go La Porta, 66052 Gissi (CH) - tel. (+39) 0873 93412
- Parrocchia, In San Bernardino, v.la Chiesa 1, 66052 Gissi (CH) - tel. (+39) 0873 93479
- People researching in Gissi