Gamberale, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
The village rises on the border with the Province of L'Aquila, among woods of firs, oaks and beech-trees which hide the small, picturesque Lake Gamberale.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 1343 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 109 km
- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants in 201
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Casale Stazione, Casale Tesoro, Piane d'Ischia, Sant'Antonio
- How to reach it: by road, SS 84 from Roccaraso or SS 652 from Castel di Sangro.
The name of the small center derives from the Germanic gamhall(os) which means "ally", and later became Gamalarius(erius); what is certain is that during the twelfth century it is mentioned as Gambarum. The settlement rose around the 13th-century castle. During the centuries it came under a number of feudal lords: Rainaldo Anichino in the 15th century, in the 16th century Giovanni Maria Annechini, followed by Giovanni Crispano, then it was sold to baron Giuseppe Mellucci from Capua for 500 ducat; later it passed under Marquis Odoardo Benedett from the province L'Aquila and finally in 1777 to the Mascitelli family from Atessa.
What to see
- The Palazzo Baronale, which dominates Mount Sant'Antonio, along the Sangro Valley
- The Majella National Park
Events and Festivities
- August: Feast of St. Lorenzo, with sheep festival.
Genealogy and Links
- Images of Gamberale
- Municipio, rione Case Popolari, 66040 Gamberale (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 946125
- Surnames presently recorded in Gamberale
- People researching in Gamberale
- Newspaper articles on Gamberale.