Frisa, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
A little north of the important centre of Lanciano, spreading wide among hills covered with vineyards and olive trees, this small town has hidden beauties to offers to visitors.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 237 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 43 km
- Population: ca. 1900 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Badia, Colle Alto, Colle della Fonte, Guastameroli, Vallone
- How to reach it: by motorway, A-14 exit Lanciano.
At nearby Piano di Maggio Roman walls were found, and the settlement was lively and rich already in the 11th century AD, when it belonged to the Counts of Chieti, since it was also along an important tratturo (transhumance route). Later on it came under the influence of Lanciano and a number of different families.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria del Popolo, with a fine painting by Pietro Annigoni representing the Virgin with Child.
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta, with 13th-century frescoes.
Events and Festivities
- 27 July: Feast of Saints Lucia and Pantaleone
- 16-21 August: traditional festival of "melon, prosciutto and bruschetta"
- First Sunday in September: Feast of Madonna delle Grazie.
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, v.Principe di Piemonte 14, 66030 Frisa (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 58115/58118
- Parrocchia, San Filippo Neri, v. XXIV Maggio 40/A, 66030 Frisa (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 58120
- Parrocchia, S. Lucia, viale della Madonna, 66030 Frisa (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 58113
- Surnames presently recorded in Frisa
- People researching in Frisa
- Newspaper articles on Frisa.