Francavilla al Mare, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 3 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 20 km
- Population: ca. 25,000 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66023
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by road, SS16; by motorway, A-14 exit Pescara Sud.
It was under important families as the Caracciolo and D'Avalos. In the late 19th century was already a well known seaside resort and the seat of an artistic literary circle with relevant figures as F.P. Michetti, G. D'Annunzio, F.P. Tosti, who met at the "Conventino", in the former monastery of Santa Maria di Gesù.
What to see
- Remains of the Medieval centre
- The church of St. Giovanni (13th century).
- Paintings by F.P. Michetti (19th century) at the local Town Hall.
- The church of Santa Maria Maggiore, with works by P. Cascella and a silver obstensory by Nicola da Guardiagrele.
Events and Festivities
- 1 May: Boat procession of St. Liberata
- July: Beer Festival
- 18 August: fireworks on the sea.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, p. S. Domenico 1, 66023 Francavilla al Mare (CH) - tel. (+39) 085 49201
- Parrocchia p. S. Domenico 1, 66023 Francavilla al Mare (CH) - tel. (+39) 085 49201
- People researching in Francavilla al Mare
- Newspaper articles on Francavilla al Mare.