It was under important families as the Caracciolo and D'Avalos. In the late 19th century was already a well known seaside resort and the seat of an artistic literary circle with relevant figures as F.P. Michetti, G. D'Annunzio, F.P. Tosti, who met at the "Conventino", in the former monastery of Santa Maria di Gesù.
Francavilla al Mare, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
A few km south of Pescara lies Francavilla, one of the finest seaside resorts and an important cultural centre in Abruzzi. Nowadays it may be considered part of the larger Pescara-Chieti metropolitan area.
- Altitude: 3 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 20 km
- Population: ca. 25,000 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66023
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by road, SS16; by motorway, A-14 exit Pescara Sud.
Follow us on Facebook
The comune includes the following frazioni: Arenaro, Castelvecchio, Cese, Cetti San Biagio, Coderuto, Fontechiaro, Piane, Piane di Vallebona, Piattelli, Pretaro, Quercianotarrocco, San Giovanni, Santa Cecilia, Setteventi, Torre Ciarrapico, Valle Anzuca, Villanesi
The area was inhabited since prehistory, and early remains have been found at St. Cecilia. In 1162 the village was granted immunity from all taxations for 12 years, and this episode also gave origin to the name "Franca Villa" (= free town in Latin). The harbour was a flourishing commercial key point in the Adriatic Sea, but in the 16th century was plundered by Turkish troops.
What to see
- Remains of the Medieval centre
- The church of St. Giovanni (13th century).
- Paintings by F.P. Michetti (19th century) at the local Town Hall.
- The church of Santa Maria Maggiore, with works by P. Cascella and a silver obstensory by Nicola da Guardiagrele.
Events and Festivities
- 1 May: Boat procession of St. Liberata
- July: Beer Festival
- 18 August: fireworks on the sea.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, p. S. Domenico 1, 66023 Francavilla al Mare (CH) - tel. (+39) 085 49201
- Parrocchia p. S. Domenico 1, 66023 Francavilla al Mare (CH) - tel. (+39) 085 49201
- People researching in Francavilla al Mare
- Newspaper articles on Francavilla al Mare.