Fossacesia, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
In southeastern Abruzzo, Fossacesia consists of two separate settlements, one high on a hilltop left of the Sangro river, the other (Fossacesia Marina) along the Adriatic, near the picturesque Punta del Cavalluccio bay.
Altitude: 140 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 54 km -- Population: ca. 6300 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66022 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- Frazioni: Campidoglio, Colle Cannizza, Colle Castagna, Fossacesia Marina, Sterpari, Strutto, Villa Scorciosa, Piano Favaro -- How to reach it: motorway: A-14 exit Lanciano
There was a human settlement in the Neolithic and later in the Roman period. Roman columns and stones were dismantled and reused in the Abbey of St. Giovanni in Venere. There was a strong Benedectine influence in the development of the area, and in the XII century there was on the site a borough called Fossa Coeca ("blind ditch"). Then many different families possessed it in the late Middle Ages and Renaissance.
Points of Interest
- Punta del Cavalluccio bay
- Abbey of St. Giovanni in Venere
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Restaurants: Azzurra, v. Lungomare 137 - tel. 0872 608012 | La Pergola, Ss 16 Adriatica - tel. (+39) 0872 608066 | La Valle, v. Pedemontana 17 - tel. (+39) 0872 57447 | Cavalluccio, s.s. 16 Rocca san Giovanni - tel. (+39) 0872 60196 | Dei Priori, v. San Giovanni in Venere 41 - tel. (+39) 0872 608171 | Il Cigno Nero, v. S. Egidio 15bis - tel. (+39) 0872 607778 | Il Delfino, s.s Adriatica 156 - tel. (+39) 0872 607523
Events & Festivities
- 6-7 August: Feast of Martyr St. Donato
- September: Grapes festival