Fossacesia, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
In southeastern Abruzzo, Fossacesia consists of two separate settlements, one high on a hilltop left of the Sangro river, the other (Fossacesia Marina) along the Adriatic, near the picturesque Punta del Cavalluccio bay.
- Altitude: 140 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 54 km
- Population: ca. 6300 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66022
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Campidoglio, Colle Cannizza, Colle Castagna, Fossacesia Marina, Sterpari, Strutto, Villa Scorciosa, Piano Favaro
- How to reach it: by motorway, A-14 exit Lanciano.
Follow us on Facebook
There was a human settlement in the Neolithic and later in the Roman period. Roman columns and stones were dismantled and reused in the Abbey of St. Giovanni in Venere. There was a strong Benedectine influence in the development of the area, and in the XII century there was on the site a borough called Fossa Coeca ("blind ditch"). Then many different families possessed it in the late Middle Ages and Renaissance.
What to see
- The Punta del Cavalluccio bay.
- The Abbey of St. Giovanni in Venere.
Events and Festivities
- 6-7 August: Feast of Martyr St. Donato
- September: Grapes festival.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, v. Marina, Fossacesia (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 60117/60581
- Parrocchia San Silvestro Papa, Villa Scorciosa, 66022 Fossacesia (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 57418
- Surnames presently recorded in Fossacesia
- People researching in Fossacesia
- Newspaper articles on Fossacesia.