Fara San Martino, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This centre lies just below the Majella, the "Lady of the Apennines", in the wide, beautiful valley of the Verde river, whose waters are used to make the world-famous pasta. Beautiful grottos are all over the territory.
- Altitude: 440 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 46 km
- Population: ca. 1500 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66015
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Fonte l'Abate
- How to reach it: by road,SS 84 from Roccaraso, SS 263 from Guardiagrele.
Follow us on Facebook
Archeological remains of the Roman period show that the territory was already inhabited 2000 years ago. The name "Fara" is of Lombard origin and means "borough". Then in the 10th century Bendectine monks colonized the area and founded the monastery of St. Martino in Valle, from which comes the latter part of the name of the village.
What to see
- The church of St. Remigio, with a 17th-century Circumcision by painter Tanzio da Varallo.
- The remains of the 13th century Monastery of St. Martino in Valle, which can be reached through the beautiful canyon of St. Spirito.
- The Natural Reserve Fara San Martino-Palombaro.
- The Museo della Fauna Selvatica (Wildlife Museum), at nearby San Pietro.
- The Majella National Park.
Events and Festivities
- 19 March: Feast of St. Giuseppe, with a traditional bonfire near the spring of the Verde river
- June: Val Serviera ecological march to the spring of the Verde river
- 11 November: Feast of St. Martino, with festival of roasted chestnuts
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, via del Municipio, Fara San Martino (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 980928/980155
- Parrocchia San Remigio, 66015 Fara San Martino (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 980112
- Surnames presently recorded in Fara San Martino
- People researching in Fara San Martino
- Newspaper articles on Fara San Martino.