Fara Filiorum Petri, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
This centre, situated along the left bank of the river Foro, is widely known for the "farchie" folk festival.
Altitude: 227 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 18 km -- Population: ca. 1900 inhabitants in 2012 -- Zip code: 66010 -- Phone Area Code: 0871 -- Frazioni: Brecciarola, Campo lungo, Colle Anzolino, Colle Pidocchioso, Colle Pretoro, Colle San Donato, Colli, Crepacce, Fara Centro, Fraderna, Forma, Giardino, Madonna del Ponte, Mandrone, Pagnotto, Piane, San Giacomo, San Nicola, Sant'Antonio, Sant'Eufemia, Vicenne -- How to reach it: motorway: A25, exit Chieti
The village takes its strange name from two different sources: Fara comes from a Lombard word meaning borough, and this tells us that the origins of the establishment go back to the early Middle Ages; Filiorum Petri refers to the later (11th century) inclusion of the centre in the possessions of the Montecassino monastery.
Points of Interest
- Church of St. Salvatore, with a beautiful 14th century portal from another church, and a fine silver cross inside.
Events & Festivities
- 16 January; Feast of St. Anthony the Abbot, with the traditional festival called "le farchie"
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Restaurants: da Matilde, Colle Pagnotto 28 - tel. (+39) 0871 70157 | Belvedere, via san Giacomo 50 - tel. (+39) 0871 70282 | Il Lago, v. Madonna del Ponte 39 - tel. (+39) 0871 79798 | Lo Scarabocchio, v. giardino 67 - tel. (+39) 0871 79624 | Lu Capannete, v. colle San Donato - tel. (+39) 0871 70525 | Trattoria La Castagna, v. Madonna del Ponte 43 - tel. (+39) 0871 79821
Genealogy, News & Links
- Municipio, v. Roma, 66010 Fara Filiorum Petri (CH) - tel. (+39) 0871 70112/70197
- Surnames presently recorded in Fara Filiorum Petri
- People researching in Fara Filiorum Petri
- Newspaper articles on Fara Filiorum Petri