Cupello, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Situated along the Sinello river among the hills, a few km from the sea and the important Adriatic resort of Vasto, Cupello has been an important commune since the early 19th century.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 274 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 80 km
- Population: ca. 4900 inhabitants in 2011
- Postal code: 66051
- Frazioni: Bufalara, Ributtini, Montalfano
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- How to reach it: by road, S.S. 86 from Vasto; by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Nord.
The area was inhabited in Roman times, as shown by the archeological remains of a human settlement mainly involved in sheep raising and "transhumance". The present town existed in the 15th century, and reached importance under the d'Avalos family, who greatly promoted agriculture employing groups of slavic refugees fleeing the Turkish invasion (these poor labourers were called "schiavoni").
What to see
- The church of Madonna del Ponte, with a fine, peculiar facade.
Events and Festivities
- 16 August: The Emigrant's festival, with a typical "ndrocchie" dish (a special type of hand-made pasta).
Where to stay
- Hotel Eden
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, c. Mazzini 66051 Cupello (CH) - tel. (+39)0873 318307
- Parrocchia 66051 Cupello (CH) - tel. (+39)
- Surnames presently recorded in Cupello
- People researching in Cupello
- Newspaper articles on Cupello.