Crecchio, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This small centre lies on a hill surrounded by olive trees and vineyards, on the right bank of the Arielli river.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 209 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 33 km
- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66014
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Casino Vezzani, Casone, San Polo, Santa Maria Cardetola, Vassarella, Via Piana, Villa Baccile, Villa Consalvi, Villa Formicone, Villa Marcone, Villa Mascitti, Villa Mucchiarelli, Villa Selciaroli, Villa Tucci
- How to reach it: by road, SS 538 from Ortona; by motorway, A14 exit Ortona.
Archeological findings show that the area was inhabited since pre-historic times, through the Roman period and Byzanthine rule. The present village is first mentioned in the XI century and under the Anjou was an important citadel. In the XV century it belonged to Lanciano then to the Marzano and the de Riseis families.
What to see
- The Castello Ducale, once the seat of the powerful De Riseis barons, where also the King of Italy spent some time during WW2.
- The Museo dell'Abruzzo Bizantino e Altomedievale, hosted in the castle.
- The Sanctuary of St. Elisabetta, with a fine XV century statue of the Saint and 19th-century paintings.
Events and Festivities
- Second Sunday in May: Festival of broad beans
- Last Sunday in August: Feast of the Patron Saints St. Elisabetta, St. Rocco and St. Filomena.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, c. Umberto I, Crecchio (CH) - tel. (+39) 0871 941663/941662
- Surnames presently recorded in Crecchio
- People researching in Crecchio
- Newspaper articles on Crecchio.