Crecchio, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
This small centre lies on a hill surrounded by olive trees and vineyards, on the right bank of the Arielli river.
Altitude: 209 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 33 km -- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66014 -- Phone Area Code: 0871 -- Frazioni: Casino Vezzani, Casone, San Polo, S. Maria Cardetola, Vassarella, Via Piana, Villa Baccile, Villa Consalvi, Villa Formicone, Villa Marcone, Villa Mascitti, Villa Mucchiarelli, Villa Selciaroli, Villa Tucci -- How to reach it: road: SS 538 from Ortona; motorway: A14 exit Ortona
Archeological findings show that the area was inhabited since pre-historic times, through the Roman period and Byzanthine rule. The present village is first mentioned in the XI century and under the Anjou was an important citadel. In the XV century it belonged to Lanciano then to the Marzano and the de Riseis families.
Points of Interest
- the Castello Ducale, once the seat of the powerful De Riseis barons, where also the King of Italy spent some time during WW2
- the Museo dell'Abruzzo Bizantino e Altomedievale, hosted in the castle
- the Sanctuary of St. Elisabetta, with a fine XV century statue of the Saint and 19th-century paintings
Events & Festivities
- Second Sunday in May Festival of broad beans
- Last Sunday in August Feast of the Patron Saints St. Elisabetta, St. Rocco and St. Filomena
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Ristorante pizzeria La Marrucina, v. Villa Selciaroli 49, 66014 Crecchio (CH) - tel. (+39) 0871 941518