Colledimezzo, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Situated on a rocky outcrop dominating the Val di Sangro, this picturesque village was unfortunately subject to landslides, which destroyed part of the old town.
- Altitude: 425 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 83 km
- Population: ca. 550 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- How to reach it: by road: SS 81 from Chieti or SS 84 from Lanciano, then SS 652; by motorway, A14 exit Val di Sangro.
Follow us on Facebook
Nearby, at Cirone and Fiumano, artifacts were found dating back to the second century BC, The name appeared for the first time in the 12th century. It belonged for centuries to the Caldora, the d'Avalos and Di Capua families.
What to see
- The 18th-century church of San Giovanni Apostolo, with stucco decorations by Carlo Piazzoli, frescoes and paintings by Donato Teodoro, a 16th-century statue of the Madonna del Casale, as well as one of the most important paintings of Abruzzo: Madonna and Child, St. Francis of Assisi and the Donor, by Tanzio da Varrallo.
Events and Festivities
- 3 February: Feast of St. Biagio.
- August 15: Feast of the Assumption.
- August 16: Feast of San Rocco.
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, 1 p.F.Vizioli, Colledimezzo (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872-949099
- Surnames presently recorded in Colledimezzo.