Civitaluparella, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Nestled in the Sangro Valley, this small village is situated on a rocky ridge, surrounded by the Lupari mountains. The historical center has narrow streets and picturesque stone houses.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 903 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 70 km
- Population: ca. 350 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- How to reach it: by road: SS 81 da Chieti or SS 84 from Lanciano, then SS 652.
In the nearby Cese grotto finds from the Palaeolithic have been recovered; the present village was mentioned for the first time in documents of the 12th century. Once a fief of the Caldora, belonged later to the de Segura family.
What to see
- The ruins of the Castello Caldora.
- The Cese Grotto.
Events and Festivities
- February 5: Festival of patron St. Agata
- August 16: Feast of St. Rocco.
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, via G. Marconi 1, 66040 Civitaluparella (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 945135
- Surnames presently recorded in Civitaluparella
- People researching in Civitaluparella.